Jeep Liberty - Vehicle Overview
The Jeep Liberty, which is related to the Dodge Nitro, comes in Sport, Limited and new Limited Jet editions. One of the more interesting features in this five-seat small SUV is its optional Sky Slider movable canvas roof.
For 2012, Sport models are now available with UConnect hands-free connectivity, a universal garage door opener, compass, an exterior temperature gauge and satellite radio. Rear park assist is available for all Liberty trim levels.
There's also a new Liberty Limited Jet trim level that features 20-inch polished aluminum wheels, chrome accents and darkened headlight trim. Inside, there's a premium stereo, leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, one-touch up/down front power windows, and available Dark Slate Gray leather seats with accent stitching and front seat heaters.
The Liberty features Jeep's traditional seven-slot grille and trapezoidal fender flares that enhance the vehicle's side profile. Unlike many panoramic sunroofs offered today, Jeep's Sky Slider roof is made of canvas rather than glass. The fabric roof folds on itself as it opens, and Jeep says the top is leak-proof.
- Standard automatic headlamps
- Standard body-colored grille, front and rear bumpers, and moldings
- Standard remote keyless entry
- Optional express-up windows
- Standard power-operated and heated side mirrors that can fold
- 16-, 17-, 18- or 20-inch wheels
- Optional roof rails
- Optional full-open canvas roof system
- Optional chrome grille
The Liberty's interior features a large floor console with cupholders, an armrest and a storage area with a removable top tray.
Both the left and right rear panels in the cargo area have tie-down loops for securing items to the load floor. The left rear panel houses a concealed compartment for jack storage and tools.
- Standard power locks, windows and mirrors
- Standard floormats
- Stain-resistant cloth or leather upholstery available
- Optional heated, powered front seats
- Optional leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls
- Optional hands-free communication system
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
The Liberty has a standard fuel shut-off system that turns off fuel when the vehicle is decelerating. There's also a standard fuel-saving indicator that lights up in the odometer to notify the driver when the vehicle is being driven in a fuel-efficient manner.
Buyers can choose from two four-wheel-drive systems: Command-Trac II and Selec-Trac II. Command-Trac II is a part-time four-wheel-drive system operating in 2WD, 4WD Lock, 4WD Low and Neutral. Selec-Trac II is a full-time four-wheel-drive system that operates in 2WD, 4WD Auto, 4WD Low and Neutral.
All models come with a four-speed automatic transmission. The Liberty features an independent front suspension with rack-and-pinion steering and a five-link rear suspension with a solid axle. When properly equipped, the Liberty can tow up to 5,000 pounds.
Mechanical features include:
- 210-horsepower, 3.7-liter V-6 with 235 pounds-feet of torque
- Engine uses regular gas
- Trailer tow package includes a full-size spare tire, a Class III receiver hitch, heavy-duty engine cooling, a power-steering cooler and trailer-sway control
- Rear- or four-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard all-disc antilock braking system
- Standard electronic stability control with electronic roll mitigation and all-speed traction control
- Standard smart key engine immobilizer